Thursday 16 October 2014

Catching Up On Stuff

How's everyone been doin'? Thought I'd just do a post about the bits and pieces I've been up to recently. It'll mostly consist of a whole lot of stuff I've started, but haven't actually finished! But I've also been to exotic places - well, Budapest - and not so exotic places - Bimingham, eaten some great food and bought some cool sewing stuff.

Let's start with sewing-

Simplicity 6110, circa 1973

I'm finishing off the skirt from this pattern, which I bought a while ago from Raystitch. I love the styling on this pattern so much - someday I'm going to make the ensemble on the far right, turban and all. But for now I'm making the pocketed version in a black twill for work, with a matching bolero jacket.

It's also been time to cull the wardrobe, and I've found a few bits which are either totally worn out, or they can be re-modeled into something better, so expect some posts in the future about re-making and so on.

Knitting-

I finished another pair of socks!



They took a fair while to finish, not because they were hard but because I'm slow. I used Debbie Bliss 4-ply; they went on their first trip outdoors the other day and I can confirm they performed well!

And so I'm straight on to the next project:


I've started this pattern from a 1960's Woman and Home leaflet in a 4-ply wool mix from Drops in this mustard, which is a slightly ugly colour but I love it.

Travel-

I visited Budapest in August for the 3rd time. I love this city! It's beautiful, cheap, and has great cake:

Wonderful cake!

Just your average coffee shop

But they do modern as well - the new underground station
And I traveled not so far to Birmingham for Charlotte's SewBrum meet-up which was fab. 


I'd never been to Birmingham before and I have to say the selection of fabric was excellent. I'm kinda regretting not buying some of this beauty:


It was a lovely day, and I met a whole new set of sewing enthusiasts and bloggers. And if it wasn't for Birmingham, I wouldn't have the next bit to write about-

Shopping-

Singer Overlocker
While chatting to Sarah from a Million Dresses, I found out that Lidl was going to be offering Singer overlockers for the bargain price of £129. That Monday, I was up before sunrise and on my local branch's doorstep for 8.00 am. I seemed to be the only sewist in Hackney there at that time - everyone else was clamoring for the Tefal irons - but if Instagram is anything to go by there were quite a few purchases up and down the country before 10.00. I haven't opened it yet - I'm one of those really annoying people who can wait to open presents - but I've got some ideas for jersey projects so watch this space. I also picked up some cheap overlocking thread, and an eyelet and rivet tool.

And that's pretty much it for now - see you soon!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Nicole, you really should have bought some of that Barbie fabric! Congratulations on your overlocker purchase - I'm still getting used to mine but so I glad I got one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to hearing how you get on with your overlocker. I've never used one and as a beginner sewer I'm reticent to spend huge amounts of money on extra machines I don't know if I'll use. And whether I could even figure one out ha ha! P.s. I am quite local to you sometimes as I stay in Hackney when I work in London

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle marcelino27 October 2014 at 22:54

    Hello is there any chance you know what street the fabric shops are on, im in lisbon at the moment and would live to go to the 2nd shop in your phots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Most of the shops are on Rua de Conceicao, around number 60 or so. The 28 tram runs directly past most of them. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!